COVID-19 Please be assured that the practice is still fully operational. We have extended our services to help our clients by opening from Monday to Friday 7am to 7pm daily on a shift pattern. The practice continues to be open weekends 8.30am to 12.30pm Saturday and Sunday. We have increased logistical capacity to help with delivery and collections at this difficult time.
Blood tests are undertaken for a number of reasons and can include the following:
- Assessment for response to vaccination
- Diagnostically to check whether birds have been exposed to infections or have diseases
- As part of a routine monitoring programme to check freedom from certain diseases
- Exports - e.g to check freedom from disease
What tests do we offer?
There are a number of different serological tests that can be undertaken at
the laboratory but the most common tests used are:
- Rapid serum agglutination testing (RSA)
- Enzyme Linked Immunosorbent Assays (ELISA)
These tests look for evidence of specific agents by the detection of antigens
(proteins expressed on the surface of a pathogen) or they look for the birds
response to exposure to specific agents by detecting antibodies.
Serological tests that are commonly conducted at Crowshall Veterinary Laboratory
- Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) RSA
- Mycoplasma synoviae (MS) RSA
- Mycoplasma meleagridis (MM) RSA
- Salmonella pullorum (SP) RSA
- Newcastle Disease Virus (NDV) ELISA
- Avian Rhinotracheitis Virus (ART) ELISA
- Infectious Bronchitis Virus (IBV) ELISA
- Ornithobacter rhinotrachaele (ORT) ELISA
- Chick Anaemia Virus (CAV) ELISA
- Infectious Bursal Disease (Gumboro IBD) ELISA
How many samples are required per flock?
For most flock 20 individual blood samples will be sufficient but if for Poultry Health Scheme or for
export purposes 60 bloods per houses will often be indicated.
Where can I get sampling material and how do I take bloods?
All sampling materials can be provided by Crowshall Veterinary laboratory- just request a sampling kit
online as below, fill in a submission form with the relevant information, and if you need help taking
samples Crowshall vets can give you the guidance you need
CLICK HERE FOR SUBMISSION FORMS
If you are a Crowshall Registered Client you can request a sampling kit by clicking
the green arrow below